Whey shakes for every activity level on show at SupplySide West 2023
Arla Foods Ingredients is demonstrating how its whey concepts can be used to create clear protein shakes targeting a range of different consumer segments.
Protein powders comprise 46 percent of the entire sports nutrition market1, and Arla Foods Ingredients research shows that they appeal to the full spectrum of health-conscious shoppers. Over 20 percent of consumers in both the ‘Active Nutrition’ and ‘Lifestyle Nutrition’ categories (who do not prioritize exercise as highly as ‘Performance Nutrition’ consumers) still consume powdered drinks at least once a week.2
As part of its ‘Go Clear’ campaign at SupplySide West (23rd to 27th October in Las Vegas), the nutrition leader will showcase three new clear whey concepts. Flavored to appeal to US markets in particular, each demonstrates how the right whey ingredient can meet the specific needs of consumers in a particular segment:
- Go Premium: This clear shake targets performance nutrition consumers seeking out next-generation products. It is based on Lacprodan® BLG-100 – a pure beta-lactoglobulin. Packed with nutritional power and 45 percent higher in leucine than other whey proteins, it boosts muscle protein synthesis post-workout.
- Go Natural: Made with Lacprodan® ISO.WaterShake (100% whey protein isolate), this fruit-infused water shake creates new opportunities for flavored waters. Its delicate flavors and clean texture are ideal for active nutrition consumers who want natural products that support healthy lifestyles with no compromise on taste.
- Go Fresh: This thirst-quenching shake is made with Lacprodan® ClearShake (100% whey protein isolate). Its refreshing lemonade taste makes it ideal for lifestyle nutrition consumers who aren’t specifically looking for a post-workout solution but still want the benefits of whey.
Troels Nørgaard Laursen, Director for Health and Performance at Arla Foods Ingredients, said: “Today’s sports nutrition market is hugely diverse. While shakes are popular across the board, every consumer group has its own preferences – from the hardcore enthusiasts looking for premium ingredients and functionality, to “healthy lifestyle” consumers who prioritize taste and naturality. Fortunately our range of high-quality whey ingredients is wide enough to meet every need, so no matter which segment brands are targeting, there’s a perfect ready-to-mix solution.”
Other concepts on show at the company’s booth (#6549) will include a protein cold brew, and a tea latte RTD, both featuring Lacprodan MicelPure®. Containing 86 percent native proteins and naturally high in calcium, this micellar casein isolate was recently certified by the Non-GMO Project, offering another advantage to North American brands.
Arla Foods Ingredients will also showcase a new limited-edition version of its ‘Protein in Every Layer’ bar. Featuring high-quality whey and milk protein ingredients from the Lacprodan® range, the concept is designed to inspire manufacturers to take protein bars to the next level.
Troels Nørgaard Laursen added: “The ‘Protein in Every Layer’ bar was a big hit at last year’s SupplySide West. One year on and consumers are of course still seeking healthier snack options. Innovation is particularly evident in the functional and better-for-you bar category, where new standards are being set all the time.”
1 Euromonitor International, 2023
2 HealthFocus® International Trend Study, 2022
About Arla Foods Ingredients
Arla Foods Ingredients is a global leader in improving premium nutrition. Together with our customers, research partners, suppliers, NGOs, and others, we discover and deliver documented ingredients and products that can advance lifelong nutrition for the benefit of consumers around the world.
We serve leading global brands in early life nutrition, medical nutrition, sports nutrition, health foods, and other foods and beverages.
Five reasons to choose us:
- We’re passionate about improving nutrition
- We innovate by connecting the best
- We master both discovery and delivery
- We build strong, long-lasting partnerships
- We are committed to sustainability
Headquartered in Denmark, Arla Foods Ingredients is a 100% owned subsidiary of Arla Foods.