From sustainable practices to food-inspired drinks, WGSN calls out key consumer trends defining 2024 and beyond.
- WGSN, the global authority on trend forecasting, releases Top Trends for 2024 & Beyond, a report that outlines the top trends in consumer behaviour and product development for 2024 and beyond.
- The report features game-changing trends that will influence various verticals such as fashion, interiors, beauty, consumer tech, as well as food and drink in the coming years.
- In partnership with WGSN’s sister company Coloro, “Apricot Crush” is named Colour of the Year for 2024, reflecting a focus on holistic lifestyles, health, and well-being – functioning as a psychological mood booster, inspiring hope and positivity amid uncertainty.
WGSN, the global authority on trend forecasting, releases the top trends in consumer behaviour and product development for 2024 and beyond. Informed by WGSN’s unique methodology, the trends reveal the future of tomorrow. A continued focus on sustainability and the circular economy is set to shape the consumer landscape alongside the evolution of indoor spaces as the cost of living continues to rise.
Jess Tang, Senior Consultant of APAC at WGSN, stated, “Data shows some categories and industries in APAC are recovering faster than others, showing the market is picking itself back up. 2024 will see people continuing to seek excitement and sensorial stimulation, countering the feeling of future uncertainty. Designing a sense of discovery and immersion will be key, engaging all senses and capturing the imagination of what’s to come. Despite the caution we are seeing in the market, we remain optimistic for the long-term prospects of APAC, as there is a lot of room for product innovation.”
Some key consumer insights to watch for in 2024 and beyond related to food are:
- Meals as Drinks – As demand for more savoury tastes and new sensorial experiences rises, mixologists are embracing bitterness, spice and salinity, and using classic meal profiles for drink flavours with umami deliciousness. Make mine a Cold Pizza, or perhaps Thai Beef Salad.
- Social Learning – Social learning spaces combine collective experiences with education opportunities, and the popularity of bookstore-cafes in Asia reflects a growing appetite for such experiences. These institutions may replace the campus or office in an increasingly remote world, but speak to individuals’ passions, niche interests, and curiosities rather than their professions, helping them find like-minded communities.
- Plant Milking – As the need for alternative ingredient sourcing drives a revolution in sustainable beauty, plant milking will thrive. This non-destructive, aeroponic cultivation method extracts the active ingredients from the plant’s roots several times a year, maximising yields and minimising land and water use.
- Apricot Crush – WGSN’s Colour of the Year for 2024 is a psychological mood booster, a warm and restorative hue that reflects a growing focus on holistic lifestyles. A rebalancing bright with an activating vitamin-inspired tone, it’s an inspiring hue for uncertain times.
Earlier in October, WGSN marked its 25th anniversary as the company continues to revolutionise creative industries with access to content creation and foresight through its digital-first platform. WGSN’s pioneering approach to trend forecasting, providing curated global content and insights into local subcultures shaping consumer behaviours, has played a pivotal role in helping businesses connect with their audiences.
Developed using its proprietary methodology to identify the signals of change and evaluate, verify, and forecast trends, WGSN works with over 250 industry experts globally to map influencers, disruptors, and changemakers to deliver clear and specific action points. WGSN’s consumer sentiments are selected using WGSN’s unique STEPIC framework: examining changes in society, technology, the environment, politics, industry, and creativity to identify the macro forces that will drive the emotional sentiments in years to come.
WGSN is the global authority on consumer, lifestyle and product design trends, helping brands around the world create the right products at the right time for tomorrow’s consumer.
WGSN’s trusted consumer and design forecasts power outstanding product design, enabling our customers to create a better future. Our services cover consumer insights, beauty, consumer tech, fashion, interiors, lifestyle, food and drink forecasting, data analytics, and expert advisory.